The “Iuliu Hațieganu” University of Medicine and Pharmacy from Cluj-Napoca, Romania, Victor Babeș Street no. 8, PC 400023, as a beneficiary, announces the project titled: HINT „Hyperuricaemia – induced INflammation: Targeting the central role in rheumatic and cardiovascular diseases” approved for financing under the Competitiveness Operational Programme 2014-2020; Priority Axis 1 – Research, Technological Development and Innovation (RD&I) to support economic competitiveness and business development; Action 1.1.4 Attracting high-level personnel from abroad in order to enhance the RD capacity.
Cardiovascular diseases and gouty arthritis represent growing health issues in Romania and worldwide. It is a known fact that uric acid has long-lasting inflammatory effects, however the exact mechanism of action and duration of epigenetic impact have not yet been elucidated.
The purpose of the project is the understanding of genetic and epigenetic hyperinflammatory status susceptibility factors to achieve personalized therapeutic interventions in rheumatologic and cardiovascular diseases associated with hyperuricemia.
The main expected results are the elucidation of the uric acid’s metabolic imprinting molecular mechanism and identifying novel risk factors and therapeutic targets against inflammation.
Other expected results:
- New therapies for inflammatory reactions in rheumatologic and cardiovascular diseases;
- New prophylactic measures in the aforementioned pathologies by blocking the molecular mechanisms of low-grade chronic inflammation;
- Faster and more specific diagnosis – the results of the project will bring data related to the specific epigenetic profile and cytokine profile that will allow the development of new diagnostic tests;
- Prophylactic and therapeutic individualized therapy;
- New equipment for functional genetic analysis and epigenetic research;
- Human resources with exceptional training and research expertise in the field of immunology and epigenetics (PhD students, postdoctoral students, researchers);
- Knowledge and experience for the development of new research projects.